A selection of my own creations
ALL THE GREENS SOUP
A delicious blend of three green vegetables, two green herbs and green lentils. Filling and healthy (approx 3 servings of your x5/day).
2 celery sticks
2 cloves of garlic
100g green lentils
1 tbsp frozen basil
1 tbsp frozen coriander
Smoked paprika to serve
1. Chop items that needs chopping
2. Heat olive oil in the pan, add onion and celery and sauté for a few mins
3. Add garlic and sauté for another few mins
4. Add kale and spinach and let them wilt on a low heat
5. Add stock and rinsed lentils
6. Simmer for about 25 mins, adding coriander and basil with 5 mins to go
7. Sprinkle paprika to serve
FETA AND SUMMER VEGETABLE FRITTATA
Frittatas are a super way to use up items you may already have in your fridge. Don't always assume you'll have any leftovers!
300g potatoes (any will do)⠀
1 crushed garlic clove⠀
1 tbsp Djion mustard⠀
2 handfuls of chopped herbs e.g. chives, mint, parsley⠀
1 tbsp olive oil⠀
1 courgette chopped ⠀
½ tsp chilli flakes⠀
140g petit pois (defrosted)⠀
100g crumbled feta ⠀
1. Boil potatoes, thinly slice once cool.
2. Whisk eggs, mustard, herbs & season.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry potatoes and courgette for 5-7 minutes, add in chilli flakes.
4. Add in peas and tip egg mixture in, add crumbled feta to the top. Cook gently for 10-12 minutes.
5. Grill for 3-5 minutes until the top is slightly brown and frittata is cooked throughout.
A few minutes prep the night before gives you a tasty and nutritious breakfast option (protein and fat from the milk and yoghurt and chia seeds, slow-release energy and fibre from the oats and some of your 5/day target. My kids love it and there are so many different combinations - nuts, dried fruit, defrosted fruit, fresh fruit, tinned fruit, honey, maple syrup, seeds, coconut. The basic recipe is below.
50g porridge oats
125ml milk (use your preferred choice)
75ml Greek yoghurt (any yoghurt will do but you may not need/want to add extra honey/syrup if you have sweetened yoghurt)
Handful of fruit (your choice!)
2 tsp of chia seeds
1 tsp of maple syrup, mixed seeds & desiccated coconut
1. Mix everything together bar the fruit and syrup (if using that day) and leave it in the fridge overnight.
2. Add the remaining ingredients in the next morning.
N.B. This amount is enough for me and one child.